Thursday, May 28, 2009

summer is a-cummin

End of the semester.  The only people happier than the students are the faculty.

I should face a string of days with plenty of time for writing.  I've got to make major progress on The Book, a couple of manuscripts need polishing and submitting, and I've got a couple of review articles to write.

But the first month is already gone -- finals were over and grades posted by the end of April, and the new students arrive before labor day -- and I've gotten far too little writing done. A week-long trip to the west coast was interesting (UCLA, Sandia Labs and a NASA meeting in Phoenix) and offered some fun (time with old Peace Corps friends in Albuquerque), but it added to the backlog of stuff on my desk, out from under which I'm just emerging.

To complicate matters, May has been mostly beautiful, when it wasn't raining.  I sit at our new big table in the recently closed in back porch / sunroom, listening to birds calling across the neighborhood and hearing music from downstairs, where Marie is working in her studio. I'm thinking that it's time to open the bar...


No comments:

Post a Comment