Sunday, February 15, 2009

Weekend

Tangled Valentine's Day. I had no definite plans except to make some music and probably work on next week's classes while Marie was working on ceramics for her March show. But she called right after her Saturday morning walk group -- as I was finishing coffee and Thursday's NYT crossword -- to tell me that Eileen needed to take her car to the Gorilla, because she'd scratched it while scrubbing off bird poop with the plasticky side of a kitchen sponge. 

As part of my efforts at saving water because of our awful drought, I've not washed my car since a year ago October. It was pretty grodey and it would embarrass me to loan it to Eileen like that, so I took it to Cactus. I'd just gotten a cup of coffee in the waiting room when I heard a horn honking repeatedly and knew right away it was the car alarm on my Camry. (It had gone off a week ago, and I had to get the AAA guy to come and point out to me that it could be reset if only I used the primary key, instead of the valet key I usually use.)  Naturally I continued to use the valet key, so I had to wait for Marie to bring me the primary one yesterday...  The Cactus guys were completely unperturbed by the honking horn and the fact that they couldn't turn the steering wheel. They got it through the wash and pretty clean inside before Marie showed up.

I ran Eileen up to the Gorilla, then she and I decided to have lunch.  It was too early to go to Taqueria del Sol, so she first took me to the Savvy Snoot, a furniture consignment place off of Huff Road. I fell in love with one piece, a hutch made from reclaimed 2" barn pine, and the guy is supposed to call me with a quote for a 9 foot table of the same style. (We've decided to go with a big work/dining table for the new back room.)

Afternoon was choppy, too. Liz Mansour came by with the papers on Sweetpea for us to sign. I'd barely touched the accordion when Eileen called, ready to go pick up her car at the Gorilla.

Dinner with my true love at La Tavola, which Marie points out has kind of become our version of Bottega / Bottega Cafe here in Atlanta. Then reading and cognac by the fire before bed.

----

A work/play day today. I spent a big chunk of it on the back room, vacuuming, cleaning, putting down the new rug etc., while Marie worked in the basement. Then a long walk, the two of us and Sweetpea, to lunch outdoors at Metro Fresh and then through the park, where the dog handled herself pretty well. We're anxious to work with the trainer and get her ready to deal easily with other dogs.

I ran out to Decatur and picked up what I hope Marie will regard as a great lamp tomorrow, her birthday... Dinner with "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly", which I enjoyed the second time every bit as much as the first.

Never did work on classes...

No comments:

Post a Comment